Fairy Lights Canopy

Happy Monday, friends! Wherever this post finds you I hope you are well…as well as your budgets! We are halfway through the month so stay strong until the end.

I recently completed a cheap bedroom project that I wanted to share with you. Many of you may live in apartments and are limited on space. We are in that situation ourselves. Our 2 bedroom apartment seems to shrink a little bit more the longer we live here. Nate’s music gear has taken over our bedroom on multiple occasions (especially when we have guests staying in the music/spare room) and we are forced to use every bit of storage space we can find.

When things are back to normal in the apartment, we still have some overflow. We set our bed up so there is a corner pocket behind our headboard which is currently storing boxes of Christmas decor. Our headboard is short and the pile behind it was growing large enough that it was visible when you walked in the room so I needed to find a simple solution to hide the eyesore.

Off to Pinterest I went and got some inspiration for simple canopies that I could do in an apartment home. I tweaked a few ideas to make into my own.


I needed the following to make what you see above:
– wooden dowels ($.40 @ Michael’s)
– thumbtacks (on hand)
– sheer curtains ($8 on Amazon)
– white fairy lights ($5 on Amazon)


It was a fairly cheap project and once all my materials were gathered I went to work! Firstly, sliding the curtains onto the 2 wooden dowels I picked up at Michael’s. Next I headed into the bedroom to fasten the curtains & dowels to the ceiling behind the headboard so the curtains could flow down to cover the boxes in the corner. I pushed the tacks through the curtains and straight into the ceiling. I suppose you could skip the dowels if you really wanted to, but they are good support for the curtains and enable you to adjust them how you like.


The next thing I did was hang the fairy lights behind the curtain. I did a zig-zag pattern using tacks to fasten the lights to the wall behind the curtains.


When all was said and done, it looked pretty nice. In retrospect, I probably should have done some measuring to make sure everything was even, but sometimes you just don’t have the time or energy for that! Also, I think I may add another string of lights behind the curtains so that the zig-zag pattern is less noticeable and the lights are more dreamy and star-like. But overall, it was a quick & fun project that turned out well! And now I don’t have to look at those hideous boxes behind the bed. 🙂


Let me know if you have any questions about this project! I’m always happy to hear from you and answer any inquiries. Have a wonderful day!

– Katie


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s